Since we have both miniature (Nigerian Dwarf) and standard size (Oberhasli, Saanen, Toggenberg) goats I was stumped as to what to purchase to tattoo their ears. I ended up going with a kit from Hamby Dairy Supplies.
It contains a carrying case, tattoo ink paste, a set of letters, a set of numbers and the pliers.
I ordered another smaller kit that came with pliers, a number set and tattoo ink so I could keep my ranch code on one plier and then change the other plier according to the year and animal number. I added on an additional “Q, R, R” so I didn’t have to use my letters from the kit. I didn’t ever want to have to switch back a forth when tattooing their ears.
I am hoping that this goes well for us as it will be the first time we tattoo anything! These are the tips I have read online for tattoo both ears and tails:
- Test your tattoo on a sheet of paper to make sure you put the numbers/letters in correctly.
- Clean the ear with alcohol wipes.
- While wearing gloves, rub the tattoo ink paste where the tattoo will be.
- Tattoo and then rub more ink into the tattoo using a toothbrush.
- Put baking soda on the tattoo to stop the bleeding and it makes the tattoo stand out.
Do you have hints for us? I am looking forward to seeing all the little green ears running around this month!